These 12 rules are excerpted from the excellent book Bringing Out The Best in People by Alan Loy McGinnis. I would encourage you to read this book if you really want to make an impact with your team or close-knit group.
- Expect the best from the people you lead.
- Make a thorough study of the other person’s needs.
- Establish high standards of excellence.
- Create an environment where failure is not fatal.
- If they are going anywhere near where you want to go, climb on other people’s bandwagons.
- Employ models to encourage success.
- Recognize and applaud achievement.
- Employ a mixture of positive and negative reinforcement.
- Appeal sparingly to the competitive urge.
- Place a premium on collaboration.
- Build into the group an allowance for storms.
- Take steps to keep your own motivation high.
Which rule do you do the best, and which rule do you need to work on to improve your skills?