Ahhh! September. One of my favorite times of the year. So much change happens during this autumn month. The temperatures drop, the leaves start to turn, the hipsters start wearing scarves. What a great opportunity for personal change.
When I lead workshops, I challenge the participants to focus on two areas of personal leadership development (e.g. integrity, encouragement, positivity):
- An area of leadership in which we excel.
- An area where we could substantially improve.
I also challenge myself to improve in these two areas, and this month I am challenging you as well. Pick to areas in which you can grow, and commit to change this September. My two areas: Positivity and Willpower.
Here are three steps on how to create actual change.
- Create a System: If I want to work on my willpower, then I can wake up every morning at 5 am. If I want to work on my positivity, then I can write thank you notes every day.
- Shout it from the Mountaintops: Tell everyone you know that you want to improve in these two areas. I would imagine most will hold you accountable.
- Write it Down: Create a goal for the month. Write it down. Track your success.
So, I will lead by example. This month I will consciously work on my positivity and my willpower. This month I will write a thank you note to a different person each day to continue to be positive. I will complete a 15 minute-minimum yoga course each day during September. My goal is to be able to touch my toes by the end of the month.
It is that easy. Some would say it is easy as pie (eating pie, because making pie is difficult). What two areas would you like to improve upon this month? What action steps are you going to take to make it happen?